Always losing your chuck key? I can relate. Of course, there’s a solution to this problem. You can replace you trusty trill chuck with a keyless chuck.
Essentially, all keyless chuck models work the same. You grab the base with one hand and rotate the outer body of the keyless chuck with your other hand. This will make the jaws to move and release or grip your bit.
Table of Contents
Keyless chucks for drills have double the teeth
Because of their internal structure, keyless chucks can actually hold the bit better than regular chucks.
There has to be no space for the key mechanism, so that leaved up real estate that can be used for more teeth. That’s why keyless chucks will have a better hold on your bits, because of that mechanical advantage.
The grip on keyless chucks is somewhat of personal preference. I prefer large grips, with narrow carvings, that are easy to hold.
Many of the currently manufactured keyless chucks will include ball bearings. A ball bearing construction will ensure smoother operation as the chucks are opened and closed.
Depends on those types of bits you want to work with. If you want to work with a short bit, you want to buy a keyless chuck that can extend past the top of the chuck.
Some keyless chucks have a ratchet system built-in. They have fewer threads on the jaws and close or open using fewer rotations than the others. They use a clicking ratchet system that hangs onto the thread after rotation, leveraging your strength. It holds the bits so tight, that it’s sometimes difficult to unscrew the chuck. Recommended for heavy-duty operations.
All the chucks that I tried were built well.
My favorite keyless chuck is Jacobs 30354. It has the smoothest operation, it can extend far past the top of the chuck, and it holds the bit really tightly.
For the money, you can’t beat Dremel 4486.
If you need to use tiny bits, I recommend getting this Neiko 20753A conversion tool.
Best keyless chucks
- AN IDEAL ACCESSORY: Turns any ¼” cordless power screwdriver into a drill or grinder to quickly switch tasks and keep the job moving
- EASY ON AND OFF: Keyless chuck converter to go from driving to drilling in seconds
- KEYLESS DESIGN: Chuck securely holds round-shank drill bits
- ONE-HANDED DRILLING: Gives you the freedom of one-handed drilling and is ideal if you’re working in tight spaces
- UNIVERSAL: Universal driver 1/4-inch hex shank snaps easily into the power screwdriver
- A great accessory for all your drilling tasks
- Easily change from fastening to drilling with 1/4-inch hex quick connect
- Conveniently tighten with one hand with the exclusive single sleeve design
- Constructed with all metal for supreme durability
- Comes with DEWALT 90 day warranty and 1 year free service contract
- Country Of Origin: United States
- Model Number: 30354
- Item Package Dimension: 8.099999991738" L x 3.99999999592" W x 1.899999998062" H
- Item Package Weight: 0.75 lb
- √ Condition: Brand new and high quality, well packed
- √ Mertial: 40CR
- √ Clamping Range: 1/32" - 5/8"
- √ JT 33 Mount
- √ 3-month hassle-free return and money back, please buy with confidence
- Drill chuck with 1/4 inch hex shank quickly connects to any impact driver and converts to drilling function
- With included 1/2” Drive by 1/4” Hex adapter, can easily transform power impact wrench to a drill
- Classic keyed 3-jaw design securely holds a wide range of twist drills and step drill bits with 1/16” to 3/8” shank
- Constructed from premium chrome vanadium steel for durability and stands up to extensive daily use
- This complete power tool conversion kit includes keyed 3/8” drill chuck, a chuck key and a 1/2” Dr. x 1/4” Hex adaptor